This was written on July 28th:
This morning I chose to skip my quiet time in God’s Word and in prayer. That would not have been anything to note earlier this year. But for the past few months, since mid-April, I have kept a consistent quiet time, only forgetting perhaps once or twice. It may sound like I am boasting, but I don’t think so. I am just amazed that I have become so consistent. For years and years, since I first understood the importance of having daily time with God, I have sought to be consistent. It seemed like nine out of ten times, my application for any given Bible study would be that I needed to establish a consistent quiet time. And for a few days, perhaps even a few weeks at a time, I would succeed. But invariably, I would falter, and spend days, weeks, maybe even months without opening up His Word on my own.
What has made the difference?
I know one thing is true above all other reasons. Now I feel like I really, really need Him. I need His strength, His wisdom, His comfort, His assurance and His guidance. I need to spend time in His Word, absorbing His truth to defend against lies that might creep into my thoughts and attitudes. I need to trust Him more, as I walk through daily life.
We all need him, whether we realize it or not. I needed Him just as much before I accepted my role as president of PWOC here at Carlisle Barracks. I just didn’t feel like I needed him as much.
But in John 15:5 Jesus says, “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.”
And in Psalm 127:1 it says, “Unless the LORD builds the house, they labor in vain who build it; unless the LORD guards the city, the watchman keeps awake in vain.”
The really great thing about today is that, unlike in the past, where I would have gone through the rest of my day never giving another thought to the fact that I had missed out on my morning quiet time, today I spent a few minutes this afternoon in God’s Word because I wanted to. The more time I spend in His Word, the more I want to be in His Word. How cool is that?!
If you aren’t having regular quiet time with God, ask Him why you don’t spend time with Him regularly and watch and listen for His answer.
Suggestions I have added today in October:
Ask Him to give you a desire for His word and for time with Him. Look for "found time" in your schedule that you may be able to use regularly for time with God. You might also want to become accountable to another person so that you might be more likely to take the time to meet with Him. Consider using a devotional guide as well, although I wouldn't recommend using it as a complete replacement to spending good time in His Word. A good devotional book can help you get started in forming a "holy habit," though, and can get you out of the doldrums when you don't know where to go next.
I used to write a weekly announcement e-mail for my local PWOC group. I tried to write something encouraging at the front end, and a few people have said that they have really liked what I had written. I thought other friends might like to read them as well. These entries are what I wrote then, posted weekly occasionally every once in a great while.
Monday, October 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment