Many people give up something that might have an unhealthy hold on their lives. Of course, we should always be sensitive to the conviction of the Holy Spirit concerning things that might control us. If something is given up as a kind of fast, then one purpose is to humble ourselves before God, acknowledging our dependence on Him. When we miss the thing we are giving up, and are tempted to give in to our desire or need for it, we can use that as a cue to come to God in prayer.
Since I have been watching the Winter Olympic Games in the last few days, I am reminded of these words, written by Paul in I Cor. 9:25-27:
Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified. (NASB)Self control is a fruit of the Spirit. If we are doing these things to prove our worthiness in some way, instead of acknowledging our dependence upon Him, then we have crossed over into pride. Our self denial will give us no lasting advantage. Paul cautions us about following the forms of religion in Col. 2:23: “These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.” The very next verses in Colossians shows us what our focus ought to be:
“Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.” (Col. 3:1-3)As we consider what God may be asking us to give up (if anything), let us make it our aim during Lent to not just follow a form of religion, but to more fully seek His presence in our daily lives. Jesus said, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.” (Luke 9:23) Let us follow Him with the tenacity of an athlete seeking the gold medal.
“…let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross….” (Heb. 12:1b-2a)

No comments:
Post a Comment